Monday, September 7, 2009

Moderation



A few topics back, specifically, "The Workout," I made multiple uses of the word "adequate." My emphasis on the meaning of this word is key. In terms of exercise, we never want to overdo anything or else suffer the consequences of possible pain or injury. As children, we were sort of taught this with the story of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears." Never too much of anything, but just right. Though the author most likely was emphasizing the negatives of either greed or trespassing - my take was "just right" or in other words, "adequate." Yet there's another very important word to think about in all aspects of our lives and that being "moderation." Moderation puts too much of a good thing into perspective.

About 4 years ago I suffered a heart attack. When released from the hospital, the medical staff handed me a leaflet of things to avoid or else increase my risk to experience another cardiac episode. Stop smoking, reduce intake of fried food, red meat, foods high in sodium, foods high in fat, foods with trans fats and the list continued. Since I was guilty of all these pleasures as well as a few other pleasures not listed, it meant reinventing my entire way I live my life. In my situation, drastic changes were necessary. For the proceeding two years I was adamant about consuming a strict heart healthy diet.

Within the last couple of years this emphasis to maintain a specific rule of what foods to eat began to wear me thin. Almost to the point of stressing me out, and its no rumor stress is just as detrimental to the heart. Using moderation has allowed me to enjoy some of those pleasures again, but with caution. Thinking moderation allowed me to realize it's not necessary to eat the entire container of Hagen Daas or eat red meat as my primary source of protein. If I use moderation I can enjoy these wonderful treats and not be such a stick in the mud when it comes to sharing meals with friends since I do try to blend with society. Keep in mind there's a few things moderation will not work and one being smoking - quit now!

No comments:

Post a Comment