Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Pace Yourself


When it comes to your personal life, excluding your job duties, is there a rule which says your need to get things done now? This is when I most often heard my father use the term, "Rome was not built in a day," in order to complete a task without actually loathing the process. It was also his way of saying I was working too hard. Even today, years later, I find myself needing to remind myself of my fathers indirect advice. Not doing so will most likely create stress upon myself physically as well as mentally.

As we grow older it's important to pace ourselves. We need to be aware of certain aspects of our health which require us to be keen about how our body's perform while completing out of the ordinary tasks. Think of the last project you completed. Were certain muscles sore, or were you weak for the next few days? These are signs you are working too hard. These after effects also have the potential to mask or in some cases indicate a bigger more serious medical problem caused by your overexertion.

Recently while visiting my 95 year old grandmother, I was amazed at how well she takes care of herself. She lives in a 3 level, 4 bedroom home alone. Her house appears to be one ready for "open house" and it's always clean with nothing out of place. The amazing thing about this is she completes her chores by herself. One day I asked her, "Grandmommy, don't you need help with all this housework?" and her reply was, "Why, then I would be bored." But she she also told me she paces herself. She says it is not important when the job is finished, just take your time and make sure it eventually does get finished. Pretty good advice from a wise woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment