Friday, September 11, 2009

A Smile





Ever wake up and wonder what kind of day is before you? Or is it most likely after the day is over when you do your critique? You know, when you use some adjective to describe what kind of day it actually was: Great, terrific, nice, special, memorable, lousy, crappy or shitty. What preludes these descriptive choices? The situation is different for everyone. Sometimes you do not realize your mood until somebody points it out. If you are having a not so great day someone may joke around and say, "You got up on the wrong side of the bed." Or "Somebody's having a bad case of the Mondays."

Does the attitude you project, not so much how you actually feel, play an intricate part or have an influence rather, in the course of your day? In other words, can a simple smile change everything? I believe it may. There are health benefits to smiling. Something bothering you - smile. For me, it's not clear what psychological effect this has, but it helps me generate a different way to address my primary aggravation. Sure, sometimes I forget but will surely regret not using this simple technique later in my day. Not only will smiling adjust your attitude, it also makes you look more attractive. If you want a person or people to notice you, just smile.

Anything can trigger the beginning of a shitty day. In my case, sometimes the simple fact we are out of creamer for my coffee will have this trigger a sour beginning. If this happen it means I need to get out of my pajamas, get completely dressed in order to run to store and buy more. A big wrench is thrown into my day if I'm unable to drink my coffee the way I like it. This jot to the store first thing in the morning sucks. This is the precise time I need to smile. At the store I smile at the person stocking the shelves or the person ringing me up. This easy facial gesture really helps with how I process the fact I am doing something which is not in my original plan.

Beware of the ones who are miserable, or more so the ones determined to stay that way. They can't stand to see someone appear happy let alone actually be happy. Recently I was in a great mood and it was all influenced from having a receptive smile. Someone asked me why I was smiling so much. This hurt my feelings a little, but I drove on and felt the better person for continuing to be happy. For a person to ask this kind of question is a pretty good indication they are miserable or generally displeased with their current situation. Do not let people like this discourage you from using a smile as a tool to make your day brighter.

Who are you more apt to approach, the person with the scowl on their face or the one smiling? The smile works the same way as body language. Are you going to approach the person with their arms naturally at their sides or the one with their arms crossed? The person with their arms crossed has the body language of someone who wants to be left alone. So keep smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment