Monday, September 14, 2009

Wasting Your Breath



Ever had a relative, friend or neighbor who never seemed to have anything interesting to tell you. Regardless the topic of your conversation, they always seemed to bring up the same boring crap you've heard time and time again? My late father put it best when he said, "They talk about nothing!" These are the type of people you often avoid by plotting strategies how not to engage in any sort of conversation other than a friendly wave or cordial hello. Heaven forbid you ask them how they are doing or else imagine hanging yourself from the nearest tree.

As much as you recognize these annoying situations and you swear up and down you'll never display the same dull/boring characteristics, beware of yourself. This type of behavior will creep up on you without warning. The best way to avoid becoming a rambler who wastes their breath is to attempt to be a good listener as well as know your audience. Come to the realization some people just don't care to hear your story. By all means, never tell the same story. The only time somebody wants to know about your accomplishments is if they asked you and even at best, keep it simple.

If you ever want to know how it feels to be a rambler do what I did - albeit I did not do this on purpose: After a stormy night and the power at home was knocked out, I decided to go out for breakfast. When the waitress came over I asked her if the power went off where she lived. Then I proceeded to tell her the only reason I was there for breakfast was - she interrupts mid sentence - "More coffee?" Before I could finish my story she cut me off. My partner looked at me and we both laughed because we realized I was displaying the characteristics of someone wasting their breath. I did not find the waitress rude, but rather cunning with her ability to not take part in my boring story. Non the less it was embarrassing.

No comments:

Post a Comment