Sunday, September 13, 2009

Vision


If you found a way to this blog page you are most likely in or past your 40s and wearing contact lenses or glasses to read this topic. Quite a few people in our age group did not need the assistance of spectacles until just a few years ago. This is one of the true signs of our deteriorating and aging body's. Face it, if it has not happened now, give it a few more years. The hard part about losing our vision now is the simple fact we tend to read more as we get older and the need for our eyesight is never been more important.

Recently I learned there's a new type of bifocal called Progressive Lenses. These are glasses which have a bifocal without the engraved line in the center of the lens which basically tells people you are old. They take a day or two to get use to, but once you do, you have no idea how easy your world will become. If you were glasses to correct your vision due to farsightedness or nearsightedness, these are wonderful because you never need to take them off in order to don another pair for reading. If you do not need corrective glasses, I suggest you visit your local supermarket and get some readers.

These glasses made my life so much easier because I forgot how often I was looking for a pair of readers before having the progressive lenses. When we're young, our eyes are more adaptable to different situations, light, dark, vision from afar, or close. As we get older, this adaptability becomes less reliable. The Progressive Lenses actually gives me back that adaptability - at least from a reading standpoint. My memory of the hassle of looking for readers was well forgotten until Lucy, my new puppy, decided she needed to chew on something and it was my new glasses.

Updated 09-16-09

This paragraph is an update in response to a comment made by "Bob" as I concur when he says he wishes his reader portion were stronger. My reader portion is not strong enough either. This is an important consideration while in eye doctors' office. Don't be too hasty to leave the office without being perfectly comfortable with your magnification of the reading portion because if you do, it will cost your a fortune to change it. You will most likely need to reschedule an appointment in order to change the prescription, thus paying more for office visit as well as new lenses.

Until my budget allows me to afford a new pair, the aggravation of not having my glasses haunts me on a daily basis. In order for me to read, I need to dig into my bag and find my readers once again. If you never had a pair of these glasses, you do not know my pain. Without naming names, the loved one who does not think it's a big deal, guess again.

2 comments:

  1. Or you could make the font bigger... at 55 it's alomst necessary for me. I also have the progressive lenses. My current pair is not strong enough on the lower reading level...next pair I'll test for reading more thouroughly. Otherwise, I agree, nice feature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Point Bob. Funny you bring this up because while I am waiting for next paycheck to order new pair, since my lovely Lucy destroyed the first, I'm waiting to hear back from eye doctor to increase strength of the reader portion of the lens. I too want a stronger magnification, like maybe +150 - +200 rather than the +125 I have now.

    ReplyDelete