Monday, September 14, 2009

An Eye for Success


Since I'm not a parent or hold a psychology degree to substantiate my view, this topic will be a shot in the dark. However my experience as a child coupled with common sense may be a helpful insight for those raising children. I envy most parents ability to sacrifice and having patience. These are traits which don't apply to me. While my ultimate destiny may have been curbed, it wasn't because my parents lacked the ability to sacrifice or be patient, but rather inexperience.

In a previous topic contained in this blog, "Positive Influence," I touched briefly on how the course of my future was redirected. This unintentionally happened out of my parents fear of me becoming gay. In the end, my ultimate dreams were not achieved and instead were redirected. Regardless of my parents efforts to discourage me from being a homosexual, I'm a gay man today. Resentment would describe my feelings if I ever found these efforts were to only benefit their social standing and not mine. To their defense, they've always believed my life would be much harder as a gay man. To my defense, I don't live a lie.

If your child appears to show mannerisms or characteristics which displease you, or you think these attributes would lead to something you believe to be misguided, think before you act. Trying to steer a child away from something they are naturally drawn will most likely delay or quite possibly change the course of their ultimate achievement and possibly a very successful future. Your instinctive actions are not always the wise choice for a child. Consider observing them and take a chance by giving them the right tools to express themselves.

This approach does not just apply to a child showing gay characteristics. In many cases a child may seem introverted. It's quite possible they have the mindset or thought process way beyond our comprehension. We should never assume the child is weird, unstable or stupid as an instinctive reaction. Never underestimate their possibilities. The answer may simply be to consider the child a prodigy and point them into the right direction to eventually become a genius, or at the least, successful.

Big decision? It should be. The question is whether you want your offspring to achieve their full potential or do you want them to be your pawn? If you choose for them to be your pawn, they quite possibly may end up resenting you. Take the time to research how you should rear your child. Don't be discouraged by their special needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment