Saturday, August 29, 2009

Cardio



There are many ways to reach an adequate (aerobic) level to maintain healthy cardiovascular conditioning, and I choose to run. In my 20s, running was the only way to clear my mind of all thoughts allowing an end result of a more balanced way of processing my daily intake of information as well as conditioning my heart. In my 30s somehow I forgot this concept and felt if I looked healthy on the outside then it must be a reflection of my overall health, and running was no longer a priority it was years earlier. In my 40s the lack of cardiovascular exercise combined with years of bad habits inherited me a heart attack.

Finding an activity to get the blood moving and the heart pumping on a regular basis is one of the most beneficial things we can do for our health. The idea is not to over exert yourself but to try to keep an adequate and moderate type of energy level while performing this type of exercise. There are many ways we can achieve this aerobic level. Swimming, running,walking, hiking, running and even riding a bike are some great examples. The best way to gauge whether you are at an "adequate" level of activity is your ability to have a conversation while performing that activity. If you cannot, you are at a level called anaerobic. This is not a good level for the beginner or novice. As with any exercise, always consult with your physician about what kind of aerobic activity is right for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment