Monday, October 11, 2010

Man's Best Friend




Periodically I experience one of those lazy, rainy and cold days. These are days when I'm at home with the dogs and the other half is on a trip away from home since we're both flight attendants. We alternate our schedules in order to care for our 3 dogs, Bugsy, Rosco and Lucy. Days like this are perfect for flipping channels on the TV while tucking my feet under Bugsy since his favorite spot is on the couch, and no kidding, he watches TV. Lucy and Rosco just don't understand the concept of life going on behind the TV screen. Bugsy on the other hand, thinks it's just another window in the house and will remember commercials with dogs simply by the familiar jingle (music) used for the commercial. So here I lay, Bugsy content next to me, Lucy in corner grooming herself to no end while Rosco does his favorite activity - sleep.

Shortly after buying our home 10 years ago, we adopted both the boys. They were approximately 2 months old, and were litter mates. Rosco appeared to be the alpha dog despite his dwarf stature compared to Bugsy. If I had to guess, Rosco's dominant personality formed out of his struggle to be fed. Even to this day, he still assures Bugsy he calls the shots. However these days both the boys are less active. Bugsy has bad knees and hasn't been able to sit properly since having knee surgery 6 years ago to repair ligaments in both legs, so he spends a lot of time lounging but alert no less yet he is not as responsive to food being prepared as in the past. The boys are aging and while Rosco seems to be doing it with slightly more grace, Bugsy seems helpless at times and it pains me to realize it will only get worse and I selfishly wonder, how much longer will my buddy be around? How will I adjust to my most loyal and best friend being gone?

Lucy, a year or so old bundle of explosive energy came to us not without some task. She was a stray and seemed lost in the neighborhood. She was alert to cars and would stay clear of people. She was a survivor among many animals being put out by many irresponsible pet owners who realize there's work, also known as love, involved in raising pets. When bringing Lucy to humane society in order to register as a lost puppy they told us it's becoming common for realtor's to open a foreclosed home and find dead animals. How lazy can you be not to anonymously bring your pet to shelter? Letting them starve is better on the conscience? Anyway, we adopted Lucy and she seems to balance our heavy hearts making the eventual nonexistence of Rosco and Bugsy a reality which does not consume us.

One thing I've learned as a pet owner - I will always be a pet owner! My question is, which of my future dogs will be like Bugsy?

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing your description of their personalities! I love the 3 of them just as try were your little kids ;). I can't wait to doggy sit again.

    On a grim note, you've made my heartache with the foreclosure findings. I'm going to walk through my neighborhood and make sure there aren't any animals in the foreclosed homes.

    You forgot to mention Lucys affectionate side. She needs lovin and when she does she hops up on the couch!

    ReplyDelete